“That They May Go Forward”
Posted on July 18, 2017
Leave a Comment
“That they may go forward” Exodus 14:15 Or Contrasting living by sight vs. living by faith
Introduction: The setting of this text is when the Israelite’s led by Moses have finally left Egypt and are being chased by Pharaoh. They are on the edge of the Red Sea and the Egyptians are at their back and the Red Sea is in front of them.
“Lifted up their eyes” – LIVING BY SIGHT – verse 10. The Israelite’s were living by site and not by faith here. II Corinthians 5:7 tells us “(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)”
WHAT ARE THE RESULTS OF LIVING BY SIGHT & NOT BY FAITH?
- “They were sore afraid” vs. 10 – FEAR – is a result of living by sight and not by faith.
- The Bible tells us a spirit of fear does not come from God! – II Timothy 1:17 –For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- If you have a problem with fear and worry, take it to the Lord he will help you overcome it. – Psalm 34:4 – I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
- “Children of Israel cried out” vs.10 – COMPLAINING – having a complaining spirit is a result of living by sight and not by faith.
- Having a complaining spirit displeases the Lord. – Numbers 11:1 – And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp.
- “And they said unto Moses, Because there were no graves in Egypt, hast thou taken us away to die in the wilderness?” vs. 11 – DOUBTING GODLY LEADERSHIP – is a result of living by sight and not by faith.
- People who have a doubting spirit are unstable the Bible tells us and easily led astray – James 1:6 – But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
- “Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians? For it had been better for us to serve the Egyptians, than that we should die in the wilderness.” – 12 – THINKING YOUR WISDOM IS BETTER THAN GOD’S WISDOM – is a result of living by sight and not by faith.
- We need to learn to trust in God’s wisdom and quit thinking we know better. If God is leading us in a certain direction don’t think you thought of something that He didn’t think of – Proverbs 3:5-8 – Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
- And Isaiah 55:8-9 tells us “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
NOW LETS LOOK AT LIVING BY FAITH AND NOT BY SIGHT. Remember what II Corinthians 5:7 says “(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)”
SO WHAT ARE THE RESULTS OF LIVING BY FAITH & NOT BY SIGHT?
- “Fear ye not” vs. 13 – LACK OF FEAR – is a result of living by faith and not by sight.
- If we are God’s children we can place our trust in Him and not fear what lies ahead of us. – Psalm 23:4 – Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
- “Stand still” vs. 13 – CONFIDENCE IN YOUR POSITION – is a result of living by faith and not by sight.
- If we are His children we have nothing to fear. We can have confidence in our position with Him. John 10:28-29 – And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.
- “See the salvation of the Lord” vs.13 – SEEING THE HAND OF THE LORD WORKING IN YOUR LIFE – is a result of living by faith and not by sight.
- Philippians 2:13 – For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. – God’s hand is at work in your life – have faith and trust His sovereignty over you life.
- “the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.” 13 – THE LORD MEETING YOUR NEEDS – is a result of living by faith and not by sight.
- He is our Heavenly Father “Stand still” and have confidence in His ability to do anything or meet any need that might arise. Philippians 4:19 – But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
- “The Lord shall fight for you” 14 – THE LORD WILL FIGHT OUR BATTLES FOR US – is as result of living by faith and not by sight.
- The Lord will be with you in the heat of the battle. He will fight for you in the battles of life on your behalf. Deuteronomy 20:4 – For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.
- “Hold your peace” – 14 – PEACEFULNESS – a sense of peace that passes all understanding is a result of living by faith and not by sight.
- Philippians 4:7 – And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. – If you are living a life of faith the Lord can give you a sense of peace in the midst of your trials.
“That they go forward” – vs. 15 – The end result of living a life by faith and not by sight is MOVING FORWARD for the Lord.
- The Lord wants us to be constantly moving forward for Him.
- He does not want us to rest and be content where we are at in our walk with Him.
- We should be constantly striving to conquer new challenges and take new ground for His Kingdom.
- We should never think we have arrived or our church has arrived – the minute we do that we are no longer living a faith life.
In Conclusion: We should always keep in our thinking that the Lord is in control of our life. He sometimes brings circumstances about or trials in our life for a purpose for a reason. He controls a chain of events from start to finish with the goal in mind to help His children to be constantly doing one thing for Him, He will bring about events so “That they go forward” like it says in the last part of verse 15.
Remember we said a living a life by sight results in:
FEAR – “They were sore afraid” it says in vs. 10
COMPLAINING – “Children of Israel cried out” vs.10
DOUBTING GODLY LEADERSHIP – “And they said unto Moses, Because there were no graves in Egypt, hast thou taken us away to die in the wilderness?” vs. 11
THINKING YOUR WISDOM IS BETTER THAN GOD’S WISDOM vs. 12
And we said living a life by faith on not by sight results in:
LACK OF FEAR – “Fear ye not” vs. 13
CONFIDENCE IN YOUR POSITION – “Stand still” vs. 13
SEEING THE HAND OF THE LORD WORKING IN YOUR LIFE – “See the salvation of the Lord” vs.13
THE LORD MEETING YOUR NEEDS – “the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.” Vs. 13
THE LORD WILL FIGHT OUR BATTLES FOR US – “The Lord shall fight for you” vs. 14
PEACEFULNESS – “Hold your peace” – vs. 14
Moving forward – “That they go forward” – vs. 15 – The end result of living a life by faith and not by sight is MOVING FORWARD for the Lord. – trusting the Lord with the next step not just being content where you are at.