The Reality of Hell
Posted on June 16, 2017
Leave a Comment
THE REALITY OF HELL
Mark 9:43 -49 – “And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.”
The immediate reference here is to offenses against Christ’s little ones, whereby they are let into sin. The hand, the foot, and the eye represent men’s strongest desires and the earthly objects dearest to them. Whatever sacrifices the doing of the will of God may require; it is wise to cheerfully and promptly make them. For the trouble it will cause in this world if we don’t, is nothing to the misery which the neglect of our salvation will result in the world to come. We need to make sure of the eternal security of our salvation and we need to make sure we do whatever it takes to live out our life for Christ and to especially not hurt little ones, as you can see Christ seems to have a special punishment for those who do.
INTRODUCTION: The reality is; a place called Hell does exist. People are in Hell, and people are going there every day. Matthew 25:41 says Hell is a literal place of “everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.” Dr. John R. Rice had this to say about Hell; “If there is a place of eternal torment where damned souls cry in vain for water amid the flames they cannot escape forever, it is the most terrible and alarming fact in this universe! The very possibility that such a doom may await the sinner is so shocking that no other question can compare with it in importance. How can today’s feasting or hunger, clothing or nakedness, honor or infamy, pleasure or pain compare in importance with a million years of pain, torment of body, mind and conscience? I beg the sinner to consider how worth while it is to know what God says about Hell. We ought to learn about Hell to escape it ourselves and to rescue others from it as well.”
KEY FACTS ABOUT HELL:
(1) Everyone will exist eternally either in heaven or hell (Daniel 12:2, 3; Matthew 25:46; John 5:28; Revelation 20:14, 15).
(2) Everyone has only one life in which to determine their eternal destiny (Hebrews 9:27).
(3) Heaven or hell is determined by whether a person believes (puts their trust) in Christ alone to save them (John 3:16-18).
(4) Hell was designed originally for Satan and his demons (Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:10).
(5) Hell will also punish the sin of those who reject Christ (Matthew 13:41, 50; Revelation 20:11-15; 21:8).
(6) Hell is conscious torment.
- Matthew 13:50 “And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth”
- Mark 9:48 “Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.”
- Revelation 14:10 “The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:”
(7) Hell is eternal and irreversible.
- Revelation 14:11 “And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.”
- Revelation 20:14 “And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.”
- Revelation 20:15 “And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”
WHY DID GOD CREATE HELL? – If it is God’s sincere desire that everyone come to know Him why did He create hell in the first place? Why make a place of judgment for humanity?
- The Bible teaches that God did not create hell as a judgment for humanity. God created hell for the punishment of the devil and his angels and not as a place for human beings to suffer. Jesus said “Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:” Matthew 25:41.
- Hell was created as a place of judgment for Satan and those who followed him in their rebellion against God. The Bible says that the devil and his angels will eventually be consigned to hell “And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.” Revelation 20:10.
- Human beings, who are created in God’s image, are not meant to spend eternity away from the presence of God. The place God created for them is heaven. Jesus spoke of this place that God has prepared for those who trust Him “In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” John 14:2-3.
- Hell was not created for humanity, but it is the destination for those who reject God’s salvation in Jesus Christ. (John 3:16-18)
WHY WOULD A LOVING GOD SEND PEOPLE TO HELL? – The Bible speaks about a place of final judgment for those who do not believe in the salvation provided by Jesus Christ. Jesus spoke of it as a place of eternal punishment. (Matthew 25:46 – And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.)
- Some people wonder how hell can be reconciled with a God of love. Why, they ask, would a God of love allow people to go to hell? – The answer to this question is that God is a God of holiness and justice as well as a God of love. These moral attributes are complementary, not contradictory. When the laws of God are disobeyed there must be a judgment. God’s laws demand that sin must be paid for. God can still love someone but He cannot allow sin to go unpunished. This is the reason that Jesus Christ came to earth, to die for the sins of the world. (Matthew 20:28 – Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.)
- The emphasis should not be placed upon hell but by the fact that God came to earth in the person of Jesus Christ to show His love for mankind. (Romans 5:6-8 – For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.)
- God has showed His love by sending His Son to die for our sins — to take our punishment — so that we could go to heaven. The judgment of hell is for those who refuse to accept God’s love and forgiveness.
JESUS WAS THE MOST PROLIFIC PREACHER ON THE SUBJECT OF HELL. – Jesus said more about Hell than did Moses, David, Isaiah, Paul, Peter, John or anybody else in the Bible. Jesus is the Authority, and if he placed this much time and effort in giving us instruction and knowledge about Hell, than we need to study what He said about the subject.
“But whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.” – Matthew 5:22
“And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” – Matthew 10:28
“So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.” – Matthew 13:49-50
“Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?” – Matthew 23:33
“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:” – Matthew 25:41
THE FOLLY OF SIN – We all have a sin nature that pulls us in the direction of sin. (This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead. Ecclesiastes 9:3)
- The condition of our heart will show in how we act. (O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. Matthew 12:34-35)
- The Bible tells us, we are not to continue in sin if we are currently living in it. (What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Romans 6:1-2)
- Don’t let sin control your life. Don’t submit to your sin. Fight that sin. With the Lords help he will give you the victory through his power. (Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Romans 6:12)
- Your Body is the Temple of the Holy Ghost. (What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 6:19)
- Take care of your body and don’t put things in it you are not supposed too, like alcohol or drugs. (Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. Proverbs 20:1)
- Don’t practice evil works.(Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practice wicked works with men that work iniquity: Psalms 141:4)
- Don’t do things that harm your body. Your body is not yours in the first place and if you are a Christian, it is also the Temple of the Holy Ghost. Do not do any self destructive behavior.
- Sin leads to destruction. (For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23)
FINAL RESIDENCE OF MAN WITHOUT GOD IS HELL.
- Hell is a literal place of torment. (Luke 16:19-31)
- When a lost man dies he goes immediately to Hell and torment. This is what the Bible teaches us. Notice in the passage we just read in Luke 16:22-23 – “the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments” He died then the very next moment he opened his eyes and he was in Hell being tormented.
- The Bible gives us a clear and fearful picture of the torment of the lost sinners in Hell in the book of Revelation. (Revelation 14:10-11 – The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night…) – Hell is a place of eternal horror and torment!!
- There is literal fire in Hell. (And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire. Matthew 18:9)
- Hell is a place of eternal suffering. (But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Mark 3:29)
- YOU WILL BE THE SAME PERSON IN HELL.
- You will have the same kind of mind, same memories, same bodily desires u have on earth.
- Remembering will be another kind of torment you will experience in Hell. You will remember every time you turned down the Lord. Every bad thing you did, every lost opportunity to get saved. You will remember reading this and hearing this message.
- Final Judgment – In the Book of Revelation the Apostle John wrote concerning the final judgment of the wicked (Revelation 20:12 &15 – And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.).The reality of a final judgment is clearly taught in Scripture. But the Bible also indicates that the people who go to hell do so because they have rejected God’s provision for salvation. The Bible says that God does not want anyone to go to hell “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” II Peter 3:9.
- No Goodness – Eternal life without God would be a life without goodness; everything would be evil and bad. In heaven there will “… in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie:… ” Revelation 21:27. So in hell, everyone there will be unclean and an abomination. There will be nothing good. There won’t be happiness or joy. We won’t feel good about ourselves. Life will be utter misery.
- No Love – Eternal life without God would be a life without love. God is love; Satan is not (I John 4:8). Hell is a place of evil and hatred, not a place of love. Can you imagine eternity without love in your life?
FOREVER HOME OF THE CHRISTIAN IS HEAVEN.
- Jesus sits on the right hand of God. (Mark 16:19 – So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.)
- Jesus prepares mansions for us in Heaven. (John 14:2-3 – In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. )
- In Heaven the streets are gold and the gates are pearl.(Revelation 21:18-21)
- The only light in Heaven is the Glory of God. No other light is needed. (Revelation 21:23)
- The inhabitants of Heaven are those who trusted by faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ. (Revelation 21:24)
FIVE THINGS TO THINK ABOUT IF YOU ARE UNSURE YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY TO HEAVEN.
- What if today was your last day on earth?
- What if you stepped of this planet into eternity?
- For about 155,000 people, today will be there last day alive. We have no assurance of another day on earth.
- And if there really is a Heaven and a Hell, there really is a God, and we will have to stand in front of Him one day.
- Why not know for sure where your eternal home is, know for sure you are saved, and know for sure your eternal soul is secure and going to Heaven some day.
FOUR QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF SO YOU CAN KNOW FOR SURE YOU ARE SAVED AND ON YOUR WAY TO HEAVEN.
- Have you ever sinned? (For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Romans 3:23)
- Do you know there is a penalty for sin? (For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23)
- Did you know Jesus paid our sin debt? (But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8)
- Did you know all you have to do is call on his name and you will be saved? (For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13; Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, Acts 16:31b)
FREE GIFT OF HEAVEN. DON’T SAY “NO” AND SPEND ETERNITY IN HELL (In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; II Thessalonians 1:8-9)
- A place of eternal fire.
- A place of everlasting destruction.
- Eternal absence from the presence of the Lord.
- Eternal separation from our loved ones.
IN CONCLUSION: Hell is literal place. It is a place of eternal torment. It is a place of eternal separation from God and loved ones, a place of not only physical torment but of emotional torment. We will remember every sin, every time we rejected God. We will remember the last opportunity we had to get saved. It is a place of eternal fire, eternal pain and eternal anguish. But it does not have to be our eternal home. If we will just ask Christ to be our savior, knowing we are a sinner in need of a sin debt to be paid. Then accept the payment made by Christ with his shed blood and death on the cross we can have life eternal in Heaven with him and not spend an eternity in a Christless Hell.
Our curiosity about the eternal abode of the dead is not completely satisfied by biblical terms or verses. What we do know is that either eternal torment in hell or eternal joy in heaven awaits all people after death, based on whether they trust in Christ’s payment for sin and accept Him as their Savior or if they reject Christ and His payment he made on their behalf. (John 3:17-18 – For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.)