THE SIN OF HOMOSEXUALITY
Romans 1:26,28 – “For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;” God’s word is clear on the subject of homosexuality. This is a sin. This is a perversion. This is not an alternate lifestyle. This does not equate with a heterosexual relationship. Homosexuality should not be granted the same status as a heterosexual relationship. Both homosexual and lesbian relationships are condemned in the Bible. God only approves of monogamous heterosexual relationships inside the bonds of marriage. All other sexual relationships both heterosexual and homosexual are a sin and condemned as such.
One Nation under God? – In our pledge we recall the heritage of our nation and declare we are “one nation under God”, but are we “under God” or have we left Him? (Psalm 33:12 – Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.) Let’s examine some of the sins that are now condoned or even encouraged by the leaders of our nation and the policies and laws they have put in place. (Proverbs 14:34 – Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.)
• Abortion – the taking of the life of an unborn child. Life begins at conception. Could a nation that condones this be considered “under God”? (Jeremiah 1:5 – Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee,…)
• Fornication and Adultery – the whole nation seems to have lost its moral compass when it comes to this issue. The Bible is very clear on the issue of sex outside of the marriage bed. (Hebrews 13:4 – Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.)
• Homosexuality – this is still a sin. No matter who may have “evolved” their opinion on this, a sin is a sin is a sin. And this particular sin is a perversion and thoroughly condemned as such in the Holy Scriptures. (Romans 1:26-28, 32 – For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.)
What our nation needs is revival if we hope to truly be a nation “under God” again. Christians are the key to this revival happening. We have to do our part to help bring revival about. We need to live separated, dedicated lives for Christ. Seeking to do his business on earth and follow his commandments for our life. (II Chronicles 7:14 – If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.)
Both lesbianism and homosexuality are condemned in Romans chapter 1. (Romans 1:26-27 – For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.) God only approves of monogamous, heterosexual relationships in marriage. God condemns adultery both before and during marriage. Homosexuality and lesbianism is called “vile affections” in verse 26. Verse 26 says that they are against nature. Verse 27 tells us the precursor of this sin is lust “burned in their lust one toward another”.
The Bible says Homosexuality is a sin. It is a learned, chosen and unnatural sinful behavior which the Bible and our laws refer to as “sodomy”. Deuteronomy 23:17 – “There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.”, Leviticus 18:22 – “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.” & in our text Romans 1:32 tell us “that they which commit such things are worthy of death.”
• Until December 1973 the American Psychiatric Association’s diagnostic manual listed homosexuality as a mental disorder. In December of 1973 under pressure from gay rights groups the board of the APA voted to remove it from the manual.
• In reference to this decision acclaimed New York psychiatrist Charles Socarides said in a Time Magazine report “It is flying in the face of the one fact that we know which is that male and female are programmed to mate with the opposite sex, and this is the story of …. any society that hopes to survive.” Socarides also claimed that the vote for the removal of homosexuality from the APA’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, won by a 65% majority rule, was heavily influenced by a letter sent by the National Gay Task Force to the 18,000 APA members asking them to support its removal. Only just over half of the APA members voted in this referendum. The National Gay Task Force spent over $3000 on printing and mailing the brochure to the APA members. A detail that was not revealed prior to the vote on the issue by the APA members.
• Medically speaking homosexuality is an unhealthy and harmful lifestyle. Examples – AIDS – homosexuals are primarily responsible for the spread of this disease in America. When AIDS was first detected it was called GRID (Gay Related Immune Deficiency). A large portion of gay males have had Hepatitis B, many have various infections and almost half of all the reported cases of syphilis in the United States occur in gay men.
• The Lord will give victory over this sin if we repent, seek His forgiveness, seek His wisdom and walk in His ways.(I Corinthians 6:9,11 – Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.)
• Paul was talking to Christians in the church at Corinth when he said some of them used to be homosexuals and lesbians. God will forgive this sin and help you to get victory over it. (Ephesians 3:20 – Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,)
The Bible say that “Fools make a mock at sin” Proverbs 14:9.
They will say “what’s the big deal” or “it’s not that bad” or “you are just overreacting” They try to trivialize sin to make it less than it is. Does this sound familiar? This is rampant in our country. A good example of this going on in our country right now is the homosexual community. Until the 1970’s homosexuality was classified as a mental illness and was illegal in almost every state. Now they are succeeding in making a mockery of their sin. So much so now they have the President of the United States in support of homosexual marriage! A fool has no desire to learn, but desires only to air his personal opinions. (Proverbs 18:2 – A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.) The homosexual community and those in support of this are good at telling everyone to be tolerant but they are some of the most intolerant people when it comes to a Christian point of view on the subject of their sin.
Proverbs 26:11 tells us a fool will continue to go back to his old base ways. He will continue to go back to his filthy sinful ways. You might be able to pull him away temporarily but he always wants to go back to that sin. Foolishness left unchecked or not gotten out of will pervert one’s life. Foolishness will take a promising life of happiness and serving the Lord and ruin it and throw it all away. (Proverbs 19:3 – The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the LORD.) Don’t let this sin get a foothold in your life or mind. Don’t let yourself be conned into thinking it is a good thing to be supportive of homosexuals you may know. Think of it this way, would you be supportive and encourage a drunk to drink more wine and continue in their drunken self destructive behavior or encourage a murderer to continue killing?
The wicked City of Sodom. (Genesis 19:5-7 – And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them. And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him, And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.) Two angles came to announce judgment on the city of Sodom. Sodom and Gomorrah were going to be destroyed by God because of the awful sins of the people of those two cities. (Genesis 18:20 – And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous) They were all wicked. Wickedness and perversion had become universal in Sodom. They were wicked sinners exceedingly before the Lord. (Genesis 13:13 – But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly.) Their wickedness was an unnatural abomination before the Lord. The sin still bears their name and is called Sodomy. Sodomy is an awful sin. (Romans 1:31-32 – Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.) Let’s draw a sharp line here, if something is sin it is sin. There should be no gray area where sin is concerned. All type of sexual contact before marriage is sin. Whether it is heterosexual or homosexual. (I Corinthians 7:1 – Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.) Just because you are against a sin does not mean you are against the sinner. Jesus received sinners, but when they met Jesus their attitude towards their sin changed. They saw it as God saw it. They changed the direction of their lives and repented of their sins. (Luke 5:31-32 – And Jesus answering said unto them,They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.)
The destruction of Sodom. (Genesis 19:23–25 – The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar. Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.)
• God waited for the sun to rise over Sodom and Gomorrah to show that this was no ordinary storm. God rained downed on them fire and brimstone. God demonstrated to the world that sin does not go unpunished. (Jude 1:7 – Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.)
• God overthrew the cities, it was utter destruction. Nothing was left. The end of sin is not satisfaction or happiness but death and destruction. (James 1:5 – Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.) Homosexuality is a sin. This is a perversion of nature and a wicked sin. It is not right to be supportive of this perverted sin. Just like it would not be right to support a drunk in their drunkenness it is not right to support someone in this sinful perversion. The Bible speaks strongly against this sin (Romans 1:21-32, Leviticus 18:22, Deuteronomy 23:17).
The Bible is also very clear that marriage is to be between one man and one woman for one lifetime. God created Eve for Adam (Genesis 2:24 – Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh). God ordained marriage to be between a man and a woman. Men are not to marry men and women are not to marry women. This is not condoned or allowed in the Holy Scriptures.
It is not intolerant to believe God’s word. God is the very epitome of love and inclusion. Christ came and died for all mankind. He died for the very vilest of sinners and He died for you and me. God so loved us all, that He sent His only son to die in our place; So that we could have eternal life and live with Him in Heaven one day. God is love (I John 4:7-10). God loves the sinner but He does not love their sin. As Christians we too should love the sinner but not the sin. You can condemn a sin and that does not mean you are mistreating the sinner.